Thank God I'm a Country Girl NOW!
Today I am thankful that I have the ability to go back to visit.... and the privilege of returning “home.”
I was born at Baylor Hospital in Dallas, Texas and raised in the nearby town of Mesquite. I lived in the metroplex for 30 years before moving to Huntsville, Texas. Upon arrival in Huntsville, I thought I had moved to “Hooterville.”
THEN... after a few years, we moved to Riverside, Texas. That was in 1995. The population was 425. Now THIS was “Hooterville.”
The last census resulted in a change to our population signs from 425 to 510. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was to see that change.
Sure, moving to the country took a little bit of getting used to. But I can assure you that it did not take long for me to learn that country life was for me.
In the country:
- when you stop to dine in a restaurant, you never have to eat alone. SOMEONE will start talking to you. Heck, they may even join you. Yes, a stranger.
- when you lose a loved one, the entire town mourns with you.
- when you celebrate a wedding, the birth of a new child, A NEW BOAT ☺.... They celebrate with you!
- when your spouse is dying of cancer, they will fight over who will pick up medication for you ~ so that you do not have to leave their side.
- when your son’s girlfriend commits suicide, the local churches will cover your child in prayers.
- when the local cable company pulls up in your driveway while you are gone to work, they will call you to see if you ordered service. (Yep, this happened last week.)
- when you go on vacation, a Sheriff’s Deputy will randomly check on your home EVERY DAY that you are gone, and give you a detailed report upon your return. A friend of mine read that there was a snake on his back porch while he was gone. JOY! ☺
- going for a Starbucks means a trip to Huntsville and THEN to the OTHER SIDE of the Highway. EGADS!
WAL-MART?! There’s no WAL-MART in Riverside. We do have a Dollar General, though. And we like it this way JUST FINE!
I do remember knowing my neighbors as a child growing up in Dallas... but as an adult.... I didn’t know a single one. Around here, the neighbors take cruises together. We’ve been to Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Jamaica... and more!
Yep... I like the laid back lifestyle.... And folks around here complain about the traffic in Huntsville when college starts back in the Fall. HA! That’s funny! Traffic in Dallas will scare you silly, and Houston is EVEN WORSE!
I know that the country life isn’t for everyone. There are folks reading this post and saying to themselves... “Those are the exact reasons I DON’T want to move to the country.” ☺ That’s why there are more than a few colors in the CRAYOLA box.
But if the country life sounds right for you, give me a call. I’m Joni Staples, and I sell country homes on and around Lake Livingston... where the folks are friendly, fishing is great, and life is good! You can reach me at (936) 650-9017.
Thank God I’m a Country Girl Now! You can be too!
This has been brought to you by Joni Bailey, YOUR Huntsville / Lake Livingston Area real estate professional. Before you buy or sell, call Joni Bailey at (936) 650-9017. I look forward to earning your business and exceeding your expectations.
Copyright (C) Joni Bailey (936) 650-9017
Licensed in the state of Texas (0518539)